Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Bits of Egg (Scrambled Eggs)

You cannot cook an egg by putting it in the coals of a barbecue. Or maybe you can, but leaving it for too long will result in an impressive explosion. This I discovered when a friend got experimental and another friend was doused with hot bits of egg, several just missing her eye. Good times at the camp ground.

When you properly cook an egg, however, you can end up with this lovely goodness:



I am guessing you don’t need a recipe to scramble some eggs. But a neat trick always comes in handy, no? My trick for a luscious scramble is to mix the eggs with water. Quite un-obviously this makes them creamier than even full-fat milk. After that, I cook them gently in a thick-bottomed skillet and turn of the gas when they are still fairly moist. A few seconds in the hot pan off the fire, and presto: lovely bits of egg.

Also, a good trick is to not cook them on the barbecue. I’m just sayin’.

2 comments:

Bart said...

You can. Place it on a cooler spot on the grill. In order to keep the egg from exploding, use a tack an poke a small hole in the shell to relive the pressure. Make sure the hole is facing up!

---------
Eggs on the Grill

12 eggs

Preheat an outdoor grill for medium high heat and lightly oil grate.
Coat all holes of a muffin pan with cooking spray and crack an egg into each hole.
Place on grill and grill over medium high heat for 2 minutes, or to desired doneness.

Laura said...

Ha! Excellent! I'll be sure yo let my friend now. Also, I am trying those barbecue eggs. :)