Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Waffles to Celebrate (yogurt waffles)

Put your hands up in the air. Higher. Higher. All the way over your head.

Slap a big smile smile on your face.

Excellent. Now wave those hands from side to side. Put some swing in it.

You know what, why don’t you add a little butt-motion? Shake it, baby. Shake, shake, shake, shake it!

And you’re doing a happy dance. Yay. I love it.

If yesterday was a day for being still and remembering, today is a day for celebrating, for feeling down to our toes that we are alive. Alive! ALIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

Festive days need festive breakfasts, methinks. Sure, a slice of bread with peanut butter is nutritious and will fill you up. But will it put a smile on your face? Like one of these would?


I had this beauty a few weeks ago to celebrate the start of the long Easter weekend. It was crispy on the outside, airy on the inside and perfectly sweet. Covered in powdered sugar and whipped cream, it was the waffle of my dreams.

Another one was called for to start today off right. Unfortunately, I live about 100 km away from waffle perfection, and while I will do silly things for food, traveling an hour and a half for a waffle is not one of them. Which is where my favorite food blog comes in: SmittenKitchen. Deb always seems to have the perfect recipe for whatever I want to eat, and today was no exception. Well, except for one thing, but she was honest about it. My dream waffle was crunchy and she told me this waffle was going to be ever-so-subtly crisped. Still, subtly crisped and fresh from my waffle iron seemed mighty good to me.

So, out came the yoghurt, the flour, the sugar, the butter, the… wow, one needs a lot of things to make waffles. Look at this shot, of my counter top right before I added the batter components together.

That’s a lot of dishes. Luckily, the end result was worth it.
Deb was right: the outsides were gently crisped and the insides were soft. Topped with a glug of maple syrup, every bite made my taste buds smile.


Now give that butt one more shake, to celebrate the yogurt waffle.

No comments: