Monday, April 13, 2009

Testing the Waters (Quinoa with chicken and avocado)


Hi, I’m back. Did you miss me?

So it’s been a while, and I thought it might be a good idea to ease us both back in gently. Although I really cannot judge your state of mind, so I should be honest and tell you that I need a bit of kiddie-splash-pool time before diving in the deep end again.

Cooking has been slow in my kitchen recently. Meals have been easy and baking has been non-existent. However, there is good news because from sheer laziness this lovely salad-like dish was born. It is tasty, quick and even moderately healthy. Let me share with you, for when you’re in need of a bit of kiddie-splash-pool time.


Quinoa with chicken and avocado

Serves 1, easily multiplied

2 cups of quinoa, cooked (about 1 cup of uncooked quinoa)
1 avocado
1 small smoked chicken breast
1 handful of cherry tomatoes, halved (optional)
¼ cup yogurt (preferably Greek style or another thick kind)
handful of basil leaves, crushed finely (or use a squeeze of basil paste from a tube if you’re feeling extra lazy)
1 small clove of garlic, minced

Mix the yogurt with the basil and garlic. Cut the chicken into small pieces and the avocado into largish chunks. Mix the quinoa with the flavored yogurt and then gently fold in the chicken, the avocado and the tomatoes if you’re using them. Stick in a spoon and eat.

No comments: