Wednesday, January 14, 2009

My Almost First Potatoes


Potatoes are a staple in Dutch meals. When we talk about dinner, images of meat, veg and potatoes pop into our heads. Even if these days we are more likely to serve pasta and sauce or a quick stirfry for dinner. It is with some embarrassment, therefore, that I am here to tell you that I don’t know how to cook potatoes. Not altogether surprising, perhaps, given that I don’t eat the buggers, but still a little embarrassing.

I am happy to announce, though, that I took steps today to remedy the situation. I boiled my first potatoes. Well, not strictly speaking my first potatoes, but my first potatoes that were not meant to be mashed into bread dough. For obvious reasons I don’t know if they tasted good (all potatoes taste like a mealy mess-up to me), but my brother and his girlfriend approved. I am a proud woman.

Just for the record, my method: I peeled my mini-potatoes, washed them and put them in a pan with enough water to cover them about half-way. Added a pinch of salt and brought the water to a boil. Ten I let them boil for ten minutes, pricked them to test tenderness and presto: My Almost First Potatoes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am SO proud of you!