Thursday, January 17, 2008

Here we go...

The button is about to fall off the last pair of pants I own that still has one. I am not kidding- all my other pants are buttonless and stay up by zipper power alone. I'd like to think a serious flaw in my sewing skills is causing this epidemic of dropping buttons, but that might not be the only problem... So, time to give my waistbands a break.

Now, I know how to eat healthily, more or less (chocolate's always confusing- is it good (happy hormones) or bad (much fat and sugar)? and I simply refuse to believe that something as delicious as white, crusty bread can be bad for you). But putting that knowledge into practice? A whole different ballgame. Come dinner time, I can all too often be found shoveling grilled cheese sandwiches or tomatoes-in-a-can based foods into my mouth rather than well-balanced and nutritious meals. No more. Starting today, I am cooking proper food, WITH vegetables, at least every other day. I'll plan for the meals and shop in advance for stuff my open-conveniently-late supermarket doesn't have.

Buttons, fear no longer!

This week's meals:

Claudia Roden's Kibbeh from the oven with baba ganouj and cacik
Green bean salad with tuna (do cooked green beans with vinaigrette and tuna from a can count as salad?)
Quinoa with leek in mustard sauce, feta and cilantro
Steamed celery with polenta and a boiled egg
Nigella Lawson's Vietnamese coleslaw

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How does the feta qualify for this healthy week, except from the part that it's cheese and thus irresistable? But am sure you succeeded in the healthy part, since I saw you in buttoned pants. Love, M.